16.08C Vancouver
ADS

Mar 6, 2024 8:22 PM - The Canadian Press

Federal procurement department punishes companies that worked on ArriveCan app

Share On
federal-procurement-department-punishes-companies-that-worked-on-arrivecan-app
Public Services and Procurement Canada announced today that it is suspending the security status of GC Strategies, which the auditor general says was awarded more than $19 million for the project.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

Ottawa says it has suspended the largest contractor that worked on the ArriveCan app from bidding or working on government contracts that have security requirements.

Public Services and Procurement Canada announced today that it is suspending the security status of GC Strategies, which the auditor general says was awarded more than $19 million for the project.

The department says the suspension prevents the company from participating in all federal procurements with security requirements.

That follows an earlier decision to suspend it from procurement processes within the department.

The government has also barred two other companies that contributed to the ArriveCan project, Dalian Enterprises and Coradix Technology Consulting, from participating in procurement opportunities.

The pandemic-era ArriveCan app has faced heavy scrutiny, with the auditor general recently finding its development was a major failure of management.

Karen Hogan said last month that the public service failed to ensure Canadians received the best value for their money, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau admitted it was "obvious" rules were not followed.

The federal government launched the app in April 2020 as a way to track health and contact information for people entering Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as to digitize customs and immigration declarations.

The Procurement Department said in the notices about the three companies that it has a framework in place to "prevent, detect and respond to situations of potential wrongdoing and to safeguard the integrity, fairness, openness and transparency of the federal procurement system."

It said Tuesday that it has newly issued stop work notices to Coradix for current contracts. It suspended Dalian from its security status on Friday.

GC Strategies, Dalian and Coradix did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Last week, CTV News reported that the Department of National Defence suspended contracts with Dalian after confirming its CEO was its employee.

In response to questions about the report, Treasury Board President Anita Anand said government rules prevent conflicts of interest and "ethical lines must be respected at all times."

Latest news

carney-to-visit-saudi-arabia-next-week-as-rights-concerns-draw-renewed-attention
Punjabi

Carney to visit Saudi Arabia next week as rights concerns draw renewed attention

Prime Minister Mark Carney will travel to Saudi Arabia from July 8 to 10 for a bilateral visit, where he is scheduled to meet Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The trip will mark the first official visit to Saudi Arabia by a Canadian prime minister in 26 years. According to federal officials, the visit is aimed at strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between Canada and Saudi Arabia. However, officials have not confirmed whether Carney will raise concerns about human rights during his meetings with Saudi leaders. Relations between the two countries deteriorated in 2018 after the Trudeau g
b-c-nurses-begin-targeted-job-action-refuse-non-nursing-duties-and-non-essential-overtime
Punjabi

B.C. nurses begin targeted job action, refuse non-nursing duties and non-essential overtime

Nurses across British Columbia began targeted job action on Thursday by refusing to perform non-nursing duties and non-essential overtime as contract negotiations with the provincial government continue. According to the BC Nurses' Union, the action is intended to bring the province back to the bargaining table with what the union describes as a meaningful offer that addresses nurses' long-standing concerns. The union said members are continuing to provide patient care while focusing on the clinical responsibilities for which they are trained. The union said nurses have stopped performing duti
langley-rcmp-investigating-suspected-assault-that-left-75-year-old-man-critically-injured
Punjabi

Langley RCMP investigating suspected assault that left 75-year-old man critically injured

A 75-year-old Langley man remains in critical condition after he was found seriously injured Tuesday night, and investigators now believe his injuries may have resulted from an assault. According to the Langley RCMP, officers were called at about 9:48 p.m. on July 1 to the area of Park Avenue and Douglas Crescent following reports of a man in distress. Frontline officers, along with paramedics from the British Columbia Ambulance Service and firefighters with Langley Fire Rescue Service, located the injured man and he was taken to hospital. Police said investigators have reviewed surveillance v
bus-crash-in-southwestern-pakistan-kills-40-officials-say
Punjabi

Bus crash in southwestern Pakistan kills 40, officials say

At least 40 people were killed and eight others were injured after an overcrowded passenger bus plunged into a rocky ravine in southwestern Pakistan early Friday, according to Balochistan provincial officials. Shahid Rind, spokesperson for the Balochistan government, said the bus was travelling through Dana Sar, a remote area near the border of Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces, when it reportedly lost control and veered off the highway before falling into the ravine. Authorities said the bus was carrying more passengers than its intended capacity. Emergency responders transported i
rescue-efforts-continue-in-kyiv-after-deadly-russian-missile-and-drone-attack
Punjabi

Rescue efforts continue in Kyiv after deadly Russian missile and drone attack

Rescue crews continued searching through rubble in Ukraine's capital on Friday, a day after a large-scale Russian missile and drone attack that killed dozens of people, according to Kyiv city officials. Friday was observed as a day of mourning in Kyiv, with flags flown at half-mast on government buildings to honour those killed in the attack. Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said the death toll has risen to about 30 people, while 92 others were injured. He described it as the deadliest Russian attack on the capital so far this year. According to Klitschko, emergency crews remained at the scene for
ADS

Related News

connect fm logo

Legals

Journalism code of ethics
© 2024 AKASH BROADCASTING INC.
Android app linkApple app link