21.54C Vancouver
ADS

Apr 3, 2024 1:32 PM - The Canadian Press

O'Toole, MPs alleging Chinese interference taking stand today at inquiry

Share On
otoole-mps-alleging-chinese-interference-taking-stand-today-at-inquiry
O'Toole said last spring that Canada's spy agency told him he had been the target of Chinese interference intended to promote false narratives online about his policies and discredit him during the 2019 election.(Photo:Twiter/Erin O'Toole)

Former Conservative leader Erin O'Toole is set to testify this morning at a federal inquiry into foreign interference, alongside three politicians who claim China has targeted them.

O'Toole said last spring that Canada's spy agency told him he had been the target of Chinese interference intended to promote false narratives online about his policies and discredit him during the 2019 election.

The Tories say security officials never informed the party about these concerns, which O'Toole blames for the loss of eight or nine seats. A government rapporteur found little evidence of such a link.

This afternoon, former Conservative MP Kenny Chiu is slated to take the stand, followed first by NDP MP Jenny Kwan and then Tory foreign-affairs critic Michael Chong. All three believe China has targeted them for advocating for human rights.

Ottawa expelled a Chinese diplomat last May after Canada’s spy agency alleged Zhao Wei was involved in a plot to intimidate Chong's relatives in Hong Kong.

Kwan says the Canadian Security Intelligence Service told her that China targeted her during the 2019 election in ways she can't disclose, in reprisal for her advocacy for human rights in Hong Kong and for the Uyghur Muslim minority in China.

Chiu claims Chinese authorities worked against him in the 2021 federal election after he had proposed a foreign-agent registry. Special rapporteur David Johnston said it's clear Chiu irked Chinese diplomats and that there was online misinformation about such a registry during the election, but he said it's unclear Beijing was behind those postings.

China strongly denies all claims it has meddled in Canadian democracy.

The ongoing hearings are part of the inquiry's work examining possible foreign interference by China, India, Russia and others in the last two general elections.

The commission of inquiry, led by Quebec judge Marie-Josée Hogue, expects to hear testimony from more than 40 people including community members, political party representatives and federal election officials.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, members of his cabinet and various senior government officials are also slated to appear at the hearings, which are set to conclude April 10.

An initial report of findings from the commission is due May 3.

The inquiry will then shift to broader policy issues, looking at the government's ability to detect, deter and counter foreign interference. A final report is expected by the end of the year.

Latest news

carney-to-visit-saudi-arabia-next-week-as-rights-concerns-draw-renewed-attention
Punjabi

Carney to visit Saudi Arabia next week as rights concerns draw renewed attention

Prime Minister Mark Carney will travel to Saudi Arabia from July 8 to 10 for a bilateral visit, where he is scheduled to meet Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The trip will mark the first official visit to Saudi Arabia by a Canadian prime minister in 26 years. According to federal officials, the visit is aimed at strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between Canada and Saudi Arabia. However, officials have not confirmed whether Carney will raise concerns about human rights during his meetings with Saudi leaders. Relations between the two countries deteriorated in 2018 after the Trudeau g
b-c-nurses-begin-targeted-job-action-refuse-non-nursing-duties-and-non-essential-overtime
Punjabi

B.C. nurses begin targeted job action, refuse non-nursing duties and non-essential overtime

Nurses across British Columbia began targeted job action on Thursday by refusing to perform non-nursing duties and non-essential overtime as contract negotiations with the provincial government continue. According to the BC Nurses' Union, the action is intended to bring the province back to the bargaining table with what the union describes as a meaningful offer that addresses nurses' long-standing concerns. The union said members are continuing to provide patient care while focusing on the clinical responsibilities for which they are trained. The union said nurses have stopped performing duti
langley-rcmp-investigating-suspected-assault-that-left-75-year-old-man-critically-injured
Punjabi

Langley RCMP investigating suspected assault that left 75-year-old man critically injured

A 75-year-old Langley man remains in critical condition after he was found seriously injured Tuesday night, and investigators now believe his injuries may have resulted from an assault. According to the Langley RCMP, officers were called at about 9:48 p.m. on July 1 to the area of Park Avenue and Douglas Crescent following reports of a man in distress. Frontline officers, along with paramedics from the British Columbia Ambulance Service and firefighters with Langley Fire Rescue Service, located the injured man and he was taken to hospital. Police said investigators have reviewed surveillance v
bus-crash-in-southwestern-pakistan-kills-40-officials-say
Punjabi

Bus crash in southwestern Pakistan kills 40, officials say

At least 40 people were killed and eight others were injured after an overcrowded passenger bus plunged into a rocky ravine in southwestern Pakistan early Friday, according to Balochistan provincial officials. Shahid Rind, spokesperson for the Balochistan government, said the bus was travelling through Dana Sar, a remote area near the border of Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa provinces, when it reportedly lost control and veered off the highway before falling into the ravine. Authorities said the bus was carrying more passengers than its intended capacity. Emergency responders transported i
rescue-efforts-continue-in-kyiv-after-deadly-russian-missile-and-drone-attack
Punjabi

Rescue efforts continue in Kyiv after deadly Russian missile and drone attack

Rescue crews continued searching through rubble in Ukraine's capital on Friday, a day after a large-scale Russian missile and drone attack that killed dozens of people, according to Kyiv city officials. Friday was observed as a day of mourning in Kyiv, with flags flown at half-mast on government buildings to honour those killed in the attack. Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said the death toll has risen to about 30 people, while 92 others were injured. He described it as the deadliest Russian attack on the capital so far this year. According to Klitschko, emergency crews remained at the scene for
ADS

Related News

connect fm logo

Legals

Journalism code of ethics
© 2024 AKASH BROADCASTING INC.
Android app linkApple app link