23.02C Vancouver
ADS

Jun 29, 2026 6:27 PM - Connect Newsroom - Ramandeep Kaur with files from The Canadian Press

No Canada-U.S. Tariff Deal Expected Before Midterm Elections: Former Trade Negotiator

Share On
no-canada-u-s-tariff-deal-expected-before-midterm-elections-former-trade-negotiator
Verheul led Canada's negotiations during the renegotiation of the North American free trade agreement in U.S. President Donald Trump's first term. (Photo: The Canadian Press)

Canada's former chief trade negotiator, Steve Verheul, says he does not expect Ottawa and Washington to reach a tariff agreement before the U.S. midterm elections.

Verheul said that while there may be a brief opportunity this fall for the U.S. administration to secure a political win through a trade deal, it is more likely that negotiations will continue into next year.

He added that, so far, no proposal close to a favourable deal for Canada has been put on the table. He also questioned whether trade agreements signed by other countries with the United States would remain durable over the long term.

Verheul led Canada's negotiations during the renegotiation of the North American free trade agreement in U.S. President Donald Trump's first term.

He made the comments during an event for Bank of Montreal clients focused on the trade outlook ahead of July 1, when the formal review of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) begins.

According to Verheul, the trade pact continues to protect most Canadian exports from U.S. tariffs, suggesting that the agreement still provides significant benefits to the United States as well as Canada.

Latest news

alberta-ai-data-centres-face-public-scrutiny-at-lacombe-town-hall
Punjabi

Alberta AI Data Centres Face Public Scrutiny at Lacombe Town Hall

Alberta’s Minister of Technology and Innovation, Nate Glubish, is holding a town hall meeting in Lacombe this evening to hear residents’ views and concerns about artificial intelligence (AI) data centres. Plans to establish large-scale data centres in the area have faced opposition from some local residents and environmental advocates. Critics are particularly concerned about the large amounts of water the facilities could consume, their potential impact on the environment, and the heavy electricity demand that could put additional pressure on Alberta’s power grid and potentially increas
b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
Punjabi

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
Punjabi

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
Punjabi

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
Punjabi

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
ADS

Related News

connect fm logo

Legals

Journalism code of ethics
© 2024 AKASH BROADCASTING INC.
Android app linkApple app link